God knows what's wrong!
Got absolutely nothing wrong with you? All your tests are back, you are fine, your partner is fine, IVF has failed and nothing seems to be working? What does that mean? It means the tests don't tell us everything and there is some 'X factor' that is getting in the way. This is where our Comprehensive Fertility Program comes to the fore.
Checklist for her.
- Have you done hormone and blood testing from your GP? yes, go to number 2. no, read on. Having blood tests can determine what hormonal problems may be causing your fertility issues. Depending on the individual couple's situation tests might include day 3 FSH test (FSH), luteinising hormone (LH), estradiol (E2), AMH, prolactin, testosterone (T), progesterone (P4), 17-hydroxyprogesterone (17-OHP), thyroxin (T4), thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH). If there is a history of recurrent miscarriages (2 or more) a lupus anticoagulant (LAC) and anti-cardiolipin antibody (ACL) are often done.
- My blood tests came back normal, what next? Have you had an ultrasound? If yes, go to number 3. If not read on. For general gynaecologic assessment, doctors often choose transabdominal ultrasound. It is routinely used to evaluate the condition of the uterus and ovaries, and it’s helpful in the detection of cysts. This can help discover poly-cystic ovaries (PCOS), thickness of the endometrial lining or other abnormalities such a fibroids that could be causing fertility issues.
- I had an ultrasound and it was all clear. Have you had a salpingoscopy? If yes go to 4. If not read on. A Salpingoscopy is a medical procedure that typically pushes a dye through the fallopian tubes to determine whether there may be an obstruction in the fallopian tubes preventing an egg travelling for the ovary to the uterus. A registered gynaecologist performs a salpingoscopy. Fallopian obstruction is typically caused by surgical complications, pelvic inflammatory disease or sexually transmitted diseases. If you have a salpingoscopy that comes back with an obstruction but have not had any of the previous conditions, you may be registering a false-positive. Women are know to be able to close their fallopian tubes shut when under stress, and unless the procedure is performed under general anaesthetic false-positives are more likely. If you do have a positive result for obstruction, further investigation as to its nature is warranted. If it is from surgical scarring resulting in an adhesion there may be little that can be done. A malfunctioning fallopian tube only reduces the chances of pregnancy to 76% of normal chances. If the fallopian tube has narrowed or thickened then there are treatments that can help.
- I had a salpingoscopy it was all clear. Great news! Has your partner had a semen analysis done.
Checklist for Him.
- Have you had a semen analysis done? Male fertility issues are 40% of the problem. Men can be reluctant to have this test done in fear that they may have to undergo stressful or surgically invasive treatment if there is a problem. This is rarely the case. Modern medical treatment has no treatments for low sperm count, poor sperm motility and bad sperm morphology. A vitamin supplement called Menevit may assist for those who have associated nutritional deficient semen subfertility. In some cases it helps, in others our Male Fertility Program is an excellent way to rectify any problems standing in the way.
- Have you been diagnosed with varicocele? This is an obstruction of the veins in the testicle that reduce blood flow to the area. It can prevent sperm from being ejaculated and can be the lead cause for poor sperm morphology. It occurs in 1 in 5 males between the age of 18 – 30. A palpable mass can be felt in the scrotum above the testicle in these instances. There are surgical procedures that may rectify this problem; otherwise the use of Chinese Herbal Medicine may resolve this over a course of weeks or months.
- Do you drink heavily regularly? A solid night drinking excessively can destroy a batch of sperm a few week either side. A poor semen analysis may coincide with a big night 3 months earlier. Reduce alcohol intake and avoid binge drinking if you and your partner are trying to fall pregnant.
- Do you ‘roast your nuts’? High temperatures in the crotch can cause male infertility. Jobs that have strong heat directed near the genitals such as welding, cooking or using other high heat tools can be an environmental cause for male subfertility. Consistently wearing underwear can have a similar effect. Don’t wear underwear to bed! Use board shorts instead of underwear if your fertility is a problem.
- Drug abuse such as steroids, cigarettes and ‘party supplies’ are all known to have an effect on male fertility. Remember, you can’t take these things forever, and they put you in an early grave. If you want to have children and are stuck in a drug abusive loop, best to look at your lifestyle as a whole and clean yourself up, no medicine can help you until you do. Perhaps asking yourself “Is this the legacy I want to hand onto my child from me?” is something to think about.
Acupuncture and Chinese Herbal Medicine has a rich history in treating difficult health problems that Modern Medicinehas no answers for. We treat the root cause of your problem, so that the body can perform its functions normally.
At Australian Natural Fertility Townsville, Mackay and Whitsundays we use Acupuncture and Chinese Herbal Medicine to treat a wide range of fertility and gynaecological disorders and help people conceive naturally and improve the outcomes of IVF.
- Low AMH
Mackay, Queensland 4740
(On the corner of Scott St & Bridge Rd opposite the Scott St store) 27 Warrain St
Shute Harbour 4802
(overlooking the Whitsunday Islands) Contact Us
Phone 07 4944 1279